Original Medicare will only pay 80% of your medical costs for hospitalization and physician services. Medicare supplement plans were devised to help cover the remaining 20% of copayment, coinsurance and yearly deductibles.
There are 10 Medicare supplement plans, also known as Medigap. These plans are given the letters A-N and are standardized plans. Medicare supplement plans E, I, J and H are no longer available in the United States. Medicare supplement plans are offered by private insurance companies, and they must offer Medicare supplement Plan A. If they offer other plans, they must offer Plan C and Plan F with any other Medicare supplement plans that they have available.
Medicare supplement plans all have monthly premiums and these premiums can vary greatly between insurance agencies. It is wise to study all the Medicare supplement plans to see what will benefit your budget and especially your medical needs. It can be a difficult task, but there are many seminars about these Medicare supplement plans found in your community and libraries where you can get the information you will need. Visit www.medisupps.com to learn more
With a Medicare supplement plan, you will have the choice of deciding the physicians you need for your medical problem and, if needed, the hospital you wish to go to for your medical procedure. These Medicare supplement plans make it much easier to obtain the medical services you may need and not have to worry about how to pay for them.
The ten Medicare supplement plans are available to all seniors who have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. You will need these to get a Medicare supplement plan. The cost of the premiums will also depend on where you reside. Since the plans are regulated by the government, they are all the same, but the premiums are up to the individual insurance agencies and the state in which you live.
Also available are Medicare supplement plans that will take care of your medical needs if you do a lot of foreign travel. You need not have to worry if you are out of the country and you need medical attention. The Medicare supplement plan will cover up to 80% of the medical services.
So in conclusion, a person reaching the age of 65 will have the benefit of getting Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B for their health insurance. Since this plan does not cover all the medical expense, one has the option of acquiring a Medicare supplement plan to help cover the remaining medical costs, coinsurance and deductibles.